Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Good Wednesday Morning!

Good morning!  Wednesday is here, which means two things.

1. This trip is flying by.  I can't believe the weeks is halfway finished!
2. Today is fun day!  We are going to have a great time today.  If the weather cooperates, we'll be going swimming and then heading to Dave and Busters for dinner and games.

So far, our students are doing a great job and are being impacted greatly by their experiences.  Here they are in their own words talking about yesterday's adventures.

"Well, these days have been fun.  Throughout these days we have assisted those at Leggett school.  One thing I noticed about these kids is that they have been very open and easy to relate to.  We have also been helping with a group called First Glance whose goal is to reach out to as many people as possible and share Christ.  Soon, we will be having a block party for the neighborhood kids.

All these things have taught me that those who need help are closer than you think.  It also has shown me that no matter who you are, we all have something in common."
Garrett Satow

"We have been working with Leggett school, working with inner city kids who are classified as 'in poverty.'  Seeing the faces of the children is amazing.  In school people are judged by their class, but when you are working with the kids at Leggett, none of it matters.

Today, after we finished with Leggett, we came back to Urban Vision where we have been staying.  Eric then gave each vehicle $20 to spend on dinner.  But we also had to bless someone else with that money.  My car decided to make sandwiches for ourselves and make the extras for homeless people on the streets.  We also had some extra money so my group decided to bless people with 'Polar Pop Missions' which is something I won't forget.  I went up to a lady at the Polar Pop station at Circle K and asked if I could pay for her drink.  At first she told me 'no,' but being the person I am, I insisted.  She agreed and asked why I was doing this kind act for her.  I told her that I wanted to bless someone.  She then asked me for what or whom I'm doing it for.  I then explained how I'm on a missions trip with the Chapel in Akron.  I asked her if she ever went to church.  She told me she doesn't anymore because it was very 'old-school.'  I told her about Resonate.  She started asking for time and directions.  So, just offering someone a Polar Pop, I reminded a lady of church and that not all churches are the same.

I feel God working in my heart with all the kids at Leggett.  Seeing the brokenness in their eyes, yet for 6 hours of the day, all that is gone.  It gives me a lot of hope for this city in which we live.

Oh!  Shout out to my dog Buttercup.  You're a gangster.  And I love you Mommy! :)"
Hannah Maynard

"Today, we started our day off at Leggett school!  I get privilege of working with Mason, a boy with Autism.  This can be very much a test of patience but also a lot of fun.  We get to watch the kids read to us, help them with their math skills, and see how our virtue of 'Respect' is put into use in our real life and how it connects with the Bible.  Although sometimes working with Mason is a challenge, it is equally as much fun and I am always ready for a challenge.  I see God working in me with the kids.  So many people treat kids who are different than us as if they are strange, but all some kids need is just some love and affection.

Later in the day, our group came back to Urban Vision and prepared signs and got ready for the block party we are helping Urban Vision with.  On Thursday, we're going bring kids from the community, have fun with them and invite them to Kid's Club on Friday.

Last night's dinner was way different then our Mexican restaurant on Monday.  We got $20 to feed our whole van dinner and bless someone else.  Our van chose to get spaghetti and then we went to a homeless guy and asked what we could get him for dinner.  We went to Subway and picked up his dinner and brought it back to him.  After we gave it to him, we got the privilege of praying with him and he was very thankful and accepting of prayers.  God showed me that we don't know everyone's background and some people are so grateful for something as simple as dinner.  We just go at our convenience and don't think about people who really need it.  Small things make such a difference in people.

I look forward to 3 more days of challenges, fun, and seeing how God will work in my life. 

Shout out to my mom, dad, and sister.  Love you.  See you Saturday!"
Love
Autumn Simpson

That is all for for now!  Check back later today for pictures!
-Eric

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Eric for leading the kids out of their comfort zone to be a blessing to others! It reminds me of Ephesians 3:18- And may we have the power to understand, as all Gods people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His Love Is! Thank you for being His hands and feet! And for loving the kids;) Robin Brubaker

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic time you all are having! You are being Jesus' hands and feet, but best of all, His heart! We are praying for you all and looking forward to seeing you Saturday! Shout out to my darlin' daughter! Linda Maynard