Friday, June 28, 2013

Final Post!

This will be our final post for the week.  I promised stories from students so here goes!

"These past couple of days have been one amazing experience for me in my life.  Staying with teens my age at Urban Vision that know Christ has been great.  These past couple of days were awesome.  Teaching kids about God and how He works was just an experience all teens should have.  I love being at Leggett with kids who don't know much about God, because there is no one to tell them about Him.  Camp Learn-A-Lot, a program with music, breakfast, lunch, reading time, crafts, science, games, camp store, recess, and most of all God!  These kids at Camp Learn-A-Lot have the most fun times ever.  They get really excited for reading time which I think is really cool.  Why?  Because most of them probably don't have books at home or someone to read to. 

After Leggett on Wednesday, we passed out fliers to people around the neighborhood for the Block Party on Thursday.  After that, we all went to Lake Erie for Fun Day and swam and just let all of our energy out and had a blast.  After that we went to Dave and Busters for dinner which was a lot of fun hanging out with our friends and just talking about different things.  The next day, on Thursday, we went to Leggett again in the morning.  After that we came back to Urban Vision and set up for the Block Party we planned.  We had inflatables outside.  We had popcorn, a dunk tanks, prizes and crafts. A lot of people came.  Every kid had so much fun just enjoying the things we did.

For them I personally did the prizes.  The whole things was so amazing and just a success.  Friday we went back to Leggett, did our thing there, came back to UV and cleaned most of the building for Kids Club.  We had games, dinner, play time.  It was all so much fun being with kids again who don't know much about God.  I feel like my relationship with God is a lot stronger now than it ever was.  I know that I will never be alone, even if I feel like it.  God's there for me through everything and He will never betray me.  God is amazing and has kept me strong.  I don't, nor does anyone deserve to be on this planet, but we are because God loves us so much, he died for us while we were sinning, no one else would ever do that!  

That's how my week on this mission trip went."

Coleen Flight

"This week has be an experience.  We've all been working hard for God, ourselves, each other and the inspiring people we have met; the ones we have helped, the ones who have helped us, and those who are somehow in between.  I believe this trip has changed many things.  I don't see things the same way anymore, and I don't think anyone else has either.  My friendships have become extremely tight; I feel as if I can tell them anything, and know they feel the same way as well.  Things are different now.

When I started out on this trip, I expected the same thing as usual.  Service.  For me, it has always been the best way to connect with God.  More than singing, dancing, praying, reading the Bible.  It was putting what I had learned into practice.  It was taking the countless stories and lessons of the Word and applying them to the "outside world."  It's much more raw than any other form or worship.  I loved it.  but, as I've said, it was different this time.

This time, I've seen something within myself that I hadn't before.  I've seen a desire to not just help, but to truly care deeply.  We have been volunteering at Leggett School this week and Autumn and I have been with a kid names Mason.  Mason has autism and isn't very into participation.  He doesn't eat breakfast, he doesn't play games, he doesn't enjoy science, or crafts or anything else on the schedule.  So my mission this week was to make him like things.  And that's what I started out trying.

I didn't really work all that well.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get him excited about anything. He just wouldn't do it.  I realized his Grandma had reached the same conclusion.  When we told here that we were gonna have him write in his journal, all she had to say was 'good luck!"  Wow!  What a thing to say!  After that realized my mission wasn't going to work, and started anew.

Now I had a new mission.  Get Mason to like me.  I guess I had sort of known all along, I just didn't realize it, but I had been building a relationship with Mason.  But now that I knew that's what needed done, I put it to the forefront of my mind.  I was gonna show Mason I cared.

Today we had reading time, Mason's least favorite activity.  It had been going pretty well, but this was the true test.  With a new book, and a little prompting, we actually go Mason to read.  He read!  I couldn't believe he actually read!  I was absolutely stunned!  After thinking and thinking, I discovered what it truly means to serve.

Service has nothing to do with the amount of things you do for people, or how many ways you help.  It's all about building a relationship with them and caring for them with the whole of your being.  This week, Mason taught me what it means to serve...God in everything you do."

Jaden 'Swagg' Wolf

I'll finish by saying that if you are a parent of one of these kids on this trip, I want to say "Thank you!"  These are great kids, every one of them.  I've loved every minute of this trip and watching these kids in action.  I can't wait for them to share their experiences with you.  Please encourage them to keep moving forward in their faith, giving more and more of themselves to God.  Please encourage them to go back to Leggett next week, and for the next 5 weeks that Camp Learn-A-Lot is going on.  I'll be there when I'm not on another mission trip or vacation.  Please, if you can send them back.  Let them see that missions is not a one week a year thing.  Come with them if you can!  I'd love to serve alongside you as well.

Thanks for your prayers this week.  It was an amazing experience.  Remember that pick is tomorrow at 11:00am at Urban Vision.  I'm sure you can't wait to hug your kids!  I'm feeling the same way missing my little ones.  But it was worth it to share this experience with yours!

-Eric

No comments: